Friday 2 August 2013

Day one!


Ok people,

So this is day one of the 100 days of real food. I am a bit late to get started as so many other things came up but I guess things don’t ever stop coming up so I have to make sure I make food a priority which I realized I don’t usually, which is probably a bit stupid considering that it’s common knowledge that nutrition= a healthy body (for the most part anyway), so it really should be a priority.

I didn’t realize how much preparation and time this challenge would take. Meaning, you would have no idea that sugar is in EVERYTHING!! I went to have a chai latte today and realized I couldn’t. My friend also went to give me some nutri grain and I almost ate it. It is just such a habit to eat anything that’s there without thinking of its contents. Even almond milk and soy milk has quite a bit of processed sugar in it and forget condements! Bye bye sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, bbq sauce and tomato sauce! I will have to make them from scratch. All in all though, I know it is really of benefit to my health so it is a small price to pay.

So today I ate a banana and whole grain toast with avocado for breakfast, eggplant, zuchinni, mushroom, tomato, ricotta and mozzarella bake for lunch and a chicken salad that contained spinach and rocket leaves, walnuts, pear, parmesan and natural yoghurt mixed with lemon juice, garlic and coriander. If anyone wants the recipe to any of this stuff let me know and I can email it. I brought the Lilydale chicken today. I will have to research it a little more though as they weren’t to forthcoming when I emailed them and I have learnt that ‘free range’ doesn’t exactly scream ‘humane’ but there are a group of farmers in victoria who only have half the volume of chickens that most other ‘free range’ farms have. I will have to look into that a bit more and find out exactly where they sell their produce. I will tell you though, there is a lady in yarra glen that runs the ‘good life’ farm and by the sounds of it, the animals are treated as pets, actually get free range of her land and are thoroughly cared for and she isn’t a mass meat producer, also, troubled youth get to work on the farms and it has been quite valuable in their lives.

I found something interesting in the shops today. Black rice. Apparently it is the most nutritious rice you can get and it contains more anti-oxidants than blueberries! I think I may buy some tomorrow and cook some Sunday. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I hope you all have a relaxing weekend! x

No comments:

Post a Comment